Monday, February 20, 2017

Secret Revealed


This blog's post addresses the hush-hush issue.

There are experiences in life worth remembering, ones that hold you tight in their grip until strong impressions are embedded into your mind.  One such experience happened in our household.



  • Celebration
It began with our twelve year old son's birthday party.  The grandparents and other guests arrived and brought gaily colored packages with bows attached in fancy fashion. The social conversation among the guests moved along with congeniality until a loud "plop" came from the kitchen.  The room became silent and I rushed out to investigate what had happened.  Oh, my gosh, our large Malamute dog, named Anvick, had knocked the fancy, lip smacking yummy birthday cake off the cupboard onto the floor.  I spied her lapping up the gooey mess with her long, pink tongue.  I heard myself yell, "Who let her in?" 
  
  • Confusion
In a state of frantic panic, Anvick bounded into the family room with the wide eyed guests posed for self protection. Feet of dog and children pounded the floor as a chase pursued.  Anvick headed straight for Grandpa Draper, who had receded deep into the back of the overstuffed couch, and threw his arm across Grandma Draper to protect his lady love. 

My mother, Margaret, quickly raised her feet off the floor, threw her arms airborne and shouted, "Stop the dog! Stop the dog!"  A commanding voice yelled, "Grab the tail, I tell you grab the tail, or an ear!"  Anvick continue to dart back and forth leading the pursuit of her captors.  My plucky hubby stood in the corner of the room alternating his feet as he jumped up and down with his elbows flapping like a rooster, eager for a cock fight, and bellowed, "Get that dog out of here!"

  • Capture
One of the boys lunged forward landing on Anvick, which caused both boy and dog to topple onto the floor with all six feet kicking in-mid air.  A comical, stunned expression, not to be forgotten, radiated from both. One brave soul took hold of Anvick's collar and led the culprit out of the house. The guests appeared as if in an awkward state of shock.

  • Consoling  
The birthday boy, now in tears, spoke in a soft, quivering voice, "My birthday is ruined -- no birthday cake." I held back a jovial snicker; all had appeared so hilarious.  When I gained my composure, I spoke to him in a comforting voice, "We have cookies in the freezer and we will eat them with the ice cream." Soon, the edgy guests sang the birthday song with solemn voices; not so enthusiastic for a birthday ritual, then settled in with the sound of spoons clicking on the dessert plates as their ice cream began to melt.

Now, for my hush-hush issue, perhaps it would be better to call it a "hush-hush secret," which I have never told anyone before.  It began later that evening when I looked through the kitchen window and viewed Anvick huddled next to the fence of the large dog run.  She looked so forlorn and ashamed. I went to her, opened the gate, and entered while she gave a soft, low whine.  I stroked her strong, broad, furry back -- she responded by leaning against me.  I whispered in her ear, "Good dog Anvick, you made the day memorable."  We conversed together with love, as only you can with such an animal. When I felt satisfied she was content, I returned to the house with a smile and a secret held for a long time.



*****

"UPDATE"
Owning a dog is more than having a friend. They offer unconditional love and trust, helps us feel needed, provides a listening ear to our woes, and warm fuzzy fur to stroke; giving them the honor of holding the title of  "man's best friend."  

For Related Information go to:

How to Build Bonds Between Children & Pets

By Drs. Foster & Smith

In the next post, I will be addressing the topic of "Searching for Beauty."

Until then, choose joy and take care of yourself.
The Good Lord Loves You.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet story. There's a book by Rosemary Wells where the baby drops some food from the high chair and the dog and cat fight over it in front of the guests. It's hilarious. (I can't remember the name of it.) Sorry. Family stories like this last for generations. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious and sooo fun to read. Hurray for dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete