Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Charity Challenge

This post recognizes and respects charity.

What is Charity?

The wisest teacher in the world, Jesus Christ, taught and lived a life of charity and asked us to follow him.  He said:

"Love one another as I have loved you." 
"Judge not, that ye be not judged."  
"Freely ye have received, freely give."  
"Forgive men their trespasses."  
(Suggested reading - Sermon on the Mount - Matt. 5-6-7)

We have many patterns of charity to enhance and make our lives happier.

I wonder, to have charity is it necessary to have a softer heart?  

YES, is the answer.

However, once in a while, I find myself caught up in the following:

Cranky



Have you, as I have said deep inside, "I don't want to do it!"  Then saying to yourself, "Never, never must another know the dark feelings roaming around inside of me."  Well, I did take the call of working at the church cannery by a conveyor belt until I suffered dizziness, also working at the stake farm in the hot, hot, sun until I became fully baked. I sure hope I am not the only one who starts out with a cranky attitude.  Now, I am happy to report after each assignment was finished, I felt pleased I accepted the call.

Yes, I softened my heart and the lesson learned: Serving is good for one's character.

Crazy:


You want me to do what?  Did you say, be the chairperson to build a float for the stake to be entered into the annual parade?  I don't have the time for such a crazy assignment! But I did it anyway.  The float turned out exquisite; I felt pleased.
             
With a softened heart, I learned:  Charity is never convenient.



Charitable: 


A long, long, time ago on Christmas Eve, my grandma turned out all the lights in the house except for the large, trinket-filled Christmas tree standing stately in her parlor. The quietness of the house seemed divine as Grandma took me, a sad, lonely, little four-year-old girl, by the hand and pulled me close to her side.

We rocked and rocked.  I felt safe to be with her.  Suddenly she burst out in song. Among the many were, "Up On the House Top," "Jolly Old St Nicholas," and Suzy Wants a Dolly." Her strong voice reached a grand crescendo rising to the ceiling as if she represented a magnificent singing cherub.

I am sure all spiders from the attic to the basement were swaying to the beat of the rhythm, and the mice in Christmas slumber awakened with a sudden jolt.  Grandma ended the magic concert with soft subdued tones of "Silent Night."  What a lovely gift of charity she gave to me.  One I have long remembered.

Leason learned:  Meeting the needs of the sad and lonely is the Lord's way.


Caring Bucket List:



Do you know anyone who has a wish list of things they want to accomplish before departure from the world?  How would it be if we drew up a bucket list of caring charitable acts we want to accomplish within the next two months.  You may be interested in the following ideas to add to your personal, caring, bucket list.


Here we go!

Offer to wash somebody's windshield at the gas station pump next to you.
Forgive someone today -- even if it's really, really hard.
Pray for someone who feels brokenhearted.
Leave a happy surprise on someone's doorstep.
Hide a $1 bill in the toy section of the dollar store -- make a little person happy.
Joyfully, invite a new family in the neighborhood to dinner and serve the food with a gracious smile.
Read to one who is homebound.
Help a neighbor by babysitting, so she can attend to some needed errands.
Take five minutes a day to send an uplifting message to someone.

Let's remember charity is the highest form of love.  It matters not if it's a hand-out, donation, welfare project, or forgiveness toward others or to ourselves.  Every compassionate deed, whether to our family, neighbors or to the world's poor and suffering, it is a gift of love to the Lord, who considers all of us equal.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing for charity never faileth.  Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all.  - Moroni 7:46

Let's be sure to fill our personal caring buckets to the brim!


Join me in taking the challenge of recognizing and respecting charity, with a softened heart, by diligently focusing on Christ and following His pattern of a charitable life.  He loves us and wants us to be happy by giving sincere happiness to others.




Our next post will address courage.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great Christmas message and such a good reminder about charity. This is a great lesson for the year round. Hugs! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading what you write. Thanks for taking the time to do so. Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and sweet blessings for the New Year. Much love, Your Cousin!!

    ReplyDelete