Monday, November 20, 2017

Stabilizing Happiness and Gratitude

This post's goal:  

How to generate and stabilize happiness and gratitude.


Hey, I thought I knew all about happiness and gratitude!  I was surprised to find I needed to broaden my perspectives.  I felt like I was in a secret garden, and needed to find the key to open the sealed door, which I spied  Once I found the key I opened the squeaky door and my adventure began.  I am eager to share it with you.

I have become aware of what happiness is not!  It's not having fun at a party, attending an exciting game, tasting a fine meal, or enjoying zealous music.  All are wonderful experiences to be cherished and cultivated, but they are not true happiness they are pleasures; they are fleeting and must be repeated to feel pleasure once again.

True happiness is when one feels satisfied and fulfilled.  Happiness is a feeling of contentment when one's needs are satisfied.  Okay, what are the needs?  The question generated a deep and sincere investigation.

  • What makes a person happy?


Stabilizing Needs

 Need to care for our body.  An old saying is, "Your health is your wealth."
Research tells us our body and our mind are connected, being active and caring for our bodies lifts our spirit and improves our mental well being.  Okay, a strong need is to 1)Eat healthily.  2) Enjoy food in moderation. 3) Participate in wise physical activity, and 4) Get enough sleep.

Promise: You will feel more alive and interested in life.

 Need to look at what is good.  Use the idea of the glass being half full - not half empty.  Postive thoughts and emotions have the effect of enhancing our lives. Being creative with our optimistic thoughts and actions makes us more open to ideas, people, and well-chosen adventures.

Promise:  We will enjoy improved relationships and be more trusting of others.

Need to keep learning: There are many activities to engage in.  The wise ones tell us learning affects our well-being in positive ways. See if any of these ideas would be something you would consider. You could join a club, learn to sing, play a new sport, study photography, take an oil or watercolor painting class, become an accomplished chef, take an armchair vacation and study a country.  In other words, do what pushes your button and drive on with a cheerful attitude. 

Promise:  We gain new skills and remain curious and engaged.  We develop a sense of accomplishment, which enhances our self-confidence.

Need to be comfortable with who we are.  What I am going to tell you is not new. 

                                                          "No one is perfect!"

Often we compare our insides to other people's outsides, which makes us uncomfortable. One step to happiness is to realize failing is a normal part of life and learning from it is a marvelous characteristic.  Henry Van Dyke said, "Happiness is inward and not outward, and so it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are."

Promise: One who is a productive worker; is thoughtful and kind; is one who has a happy countenance because they know the life they lead is pleasing to the Lord.

Eleanor Roosevelt summed it up for all of us.  "Happiness is not a goal . . .  it's a by-product of a life well lived."

A link for more information:   http://www.actionforhappiness.org/10-keys-to-happier-living/ 

  • What is the foundation of gratitude?


Gratitude is the foundation for feelings of appreciation and thankfulness for blessings or benefits we received. It is a powerful expression of love and can perform miracles in our lives. We must thank our Heavenly Father for His goodness by acknowledging His hand in all things.  Let's give thanks for the tremendous opportunities we have.  Let's give thanks for our parents, family, friends, and teachers. We should express gratitude to everyone who has assisted us in any way.

 Let's show gratitude for all things; large and small.  

I can not resist giving gratitude for the "FUN" in our lives.  I post the following picture and ask,
 "Are we grateful for all the necessities of life?"


The house behind the house was truly appreciated by so many; young and old.
Also the magical sunrise and sunset, beautiful landscapes, excellent music, 
supporting family and friends, aromatic food, 
and safe shelter.

You dear reader, count your many blessings and give thanks; they are truly 
terrific stabilizers in your life.

Promise:  "And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more." (D&C 78:19)

I give my thanks of gratitude to you my dear readers.  
You are special to me and I pray for your safety and well being.

Thanks for joining me as I opened the door in the secret garden and found
how to generate and stabilize happiness and gratitude.

Watch for the next post when we will explore 
"CHARITY"







2 comments:

  1. I love your ideas. I will work on stabilizing my happiness. You are wonderful! We had such a great visit. Happy Thanksgiving, and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. I agree completely. It is a joy and a blessing to feel satisfied and fulfilled and at peace with one's self. You are a great example to all. Happy Thanksgiving. Much Love!!

    ReplyDelete