Thursday, October 26, 2017

Searching for Beauty

This post gives insight into our world of profound beauty 


One fall day while digging in our flower garden with the purpose of repositioning a medium-size rock, I became aware of a black spider meandering its way across the rough stone -- I hate spiders! However, I became intrigued by the movement of its eight pedipalps (legs) in a distinct synchronized pattern.  As I began to move the rock, of course, it scampered in a very rapid fashion to find a hiding place.  To the spider, I appeared the foe.  To my surprise, I could see the beauty of its small body, black and definitely finely coordinated.  It was God's creation!  No, I have not lost my repugnance for spiders, but the experience prompted the search to answer the questions of what is beauty, where do we find beauty, and why develop the desire for beauty.

What is beauty?

The Webster Dictionary defines beauty as the quality credited to whatever pleases or satisfies the senses of the mind as in line, form, texture, proportion, rhythmic motion, the tone of behavior, and attitude.

Wow, would you agree with the idea, beauty is everywhere if we look for it, feel a sensation from it and do what is necessary to enjoy it?

Let's sum it all up and say: Beauty is Happiness. 
I find comfort in the simplicity 
of the sensible statement.

Where do we find beauty?

As I write the post, I realize I have not been as observant as I could be. What have I missed on my journey of going to and from my destinations perhaps not seeing an interesting home nestled in the background of a well-kept yard; a lovely garden; a mighty tree; a sign; impressive rock; a child scampering along the sidewalk; the unique design of a building; my relationship with family, friends, and Deity. How much richer and fuller, and more interesting my life would be if I took time to notice what's around me and the feelings inside of me toward rich music, well designed murals, natures wonders displayed in our beautiful world.

Last spring I noticed a little bird flew, crash bang, into a large window pane and lay on the ground in a death position.  Hovering, in what seemed like a  panic situation, were six other small bright yellow birds with blue-grey wings.  To me, they appeared as if they were beautiful Golden Swamp Warblers (The website reports they are common in the southeast but can come far north.  You might be interested in a book titled Backyard Birds by Karen Stray Nolting and Jonathan Latimer.) The group of colorful birds flew to a tall red bush about 15 feet away from the injured one and perched there for the next three days. They fluttered about and seemed to consult with each other while the injured bird continued not to move.  On the third day to my surprise, the injured one had gone; along with its faithful companions.

Even though I enjoyed the beauty of the birds, I regret I did not reach deep into my feelings and soak in the beautiful love and devotion the petite birds displayed in their concern and patience in waiting for the injured one to revive.  I failed to feel compassion for them, pray for them, and have more respect for them. Yes, I could have used a large magnifying glass to find the buried feelings deep inside of me. I could have enjoyed the greater beauty.  

Please tell me I am not alone!

Do you agree we must conduct ourselves with a deeper appreciation and look more carefully, even if it seems unattractive, with a discerning eye, trusting in the power of angels to guide us?

Why develop the desire for beauty?

Recently I read these interesting words:

God created beauty for the life of the soul.  It has no corporal usefulness.  It does not satisfy hunger, shelter us from a storm or provide warmth, or the life of the body, it is perfectly useless. However, beauty is more useful than food, shelter and warmth.  This is because beauty is useful to the soul and and the soul is worth more than the body.
- Tradition, Family, Property - TFP

We must recognize beauty is a gift from our Lord, it is His love and comfort to all of us. Let's join together and say beauty brings happiness, self-fulfillment, and peace to our core.  

Dear reader, pause and recall a beautiful scene or thought you have had in the past. Bring back the memories of the dramatic moment and enjoy how it explodes into a true exquisiteness.

The good Lord loves all of us and wants us to search
deep into our souls to ask ourselves what, where, and why we desire and enjoy profound beauty. 

A dear friend shared with me a this lovely thought.


My friends, search for beauty in all avenues of life.


Our next post will address:

"Happiness and Gratitude"














1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I try to take a few minutes each day and look for beauty in the moment. I love the quote about the flowers of autumn! I will look at the leaves in a different way from now on.

    ReplyDelete