Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Gift of People

This blog is about people in our lives.

A paper came across my desk a few weeks ago and has given me much to think about.  It brought to my mind the people who have crossed my path.

  The writing on the paper began with these words:

 God doesn't give you the people you want; 
He gives you the people you NEED...
to help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you 
and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

God knew I needed a mentor, a leader, who would encourage me unbeknownst to her.

That person was a "Grand Lady" known as Carol Hurst.

Carol Joan Watkins Hurst
December 27, 1932 - February 11, 2015
The above picture appeared on the program at her services.

Carol graciously crossed my life during the 63 years I knew her.  The first encounter was when she was the organist in the 32th Ward in my home town of Ogden, Utah.  From there we have passed back and forth many times.  She was known as a pianist, teacher, cultural arts advocate, and friend. My mother sewed elaborate clothes for her.  Dad played the trombone and enjoyed Carol as his accompanist, also she was a piano teacher for my sister and tutored her in two private recitals. Someone stated that Washington DC had Jackie Kennedy, but Ogden, Utah had Carol Hurst.  She was a classic woman and had been involved in many beauty pageants.

For me, she was a friend and wonderful mentor I needed.  On April 3, 2014, I auditioned for Carol and her companions Lowell and Jerry Harrop to become part of the Piano Guild at the McKay hospital as a piano therapist, which she sponsored. To be part of the guild has been a thrill for me because it became an accomplish goal on my "bucket" list.  I give my thanks to Carol for such an opportunity and will always have the memory of hearing her play beautiful renditions of music.

Carol wrote music for a poem written by Karle Wilson Baker, 
which gave it the feeling of the divine. It was sung Capella by a group at her funeral services. 

                                                                    Let me grow lovely, growing old - 
                                                                    So many fine things do;
                                                                    Laces, and ivory, and gold,
                                                                    And silks need not be new.
                                                 
                                                                    And there is healing in old trees;
                                                                    Old streets a glamour hold;
                                                                    Why may not I, as well as these, 
                                                                    Grow lovely, growing old?
                                                        
                                                                                     *****
Would you agree with me we all have had wonderful people in our lives who help us?  They make a difference, because we need them. 

Have we thanked them? 

What about those who hurt us?  

Have we forgiven them?  

There are those who left us, in death or dropped out of our life and became part of the past.  

       Do we express gratitude for what they brought to us? 

And there are those who love us no matter what; they are the golden ones of our lives. 

Do we appreciate them?

I challenge all to think of those who God sent to us, to make us the person we were meant to be, and humbly give thanks for ALL of them.  They are the "gift" of people in our lives.

I am grateful to you, dear reader, I appreciate you and love you. 

Until the next post, smile no matter what comes your way.






   

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing. Had a great time today. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete