Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Smell a Book


This post is celebrating the opportunity to "smell" a book.


He stood on the other side of the counter.  As he rang up my purchase he stated, "You are Mrs. Draper!"  "Yes." I replied in a puzzled voice, adding,"And your name?"  He announced he had been a student of mine while he was in the eighth grade. I nervously responded with, "Oh, I do hope our relationship proved to be a happy one."  There was a long pause and I held my breath.  He responded with, "Yes, you taught me to smell a book!"  With a smile on my lips and a nod of my head, I admitted I had spent time in the classroom dramatically emphasizing the skill of smelling a book.

I loved the days when I opened up the teacher's cupboard and gathered a number of my old books and placed them on my desk; with the purpose of teaching students to:

Cuddle a book close to their heart; as if it were a genuine friend.
To write remarks in the margins, adding a personal meaning to the text.
To be a detective, and "smell" the aroma of the book for clues to where it had been.

Perhaps there would be a musty scent, indicating the book being stored in a damp environment.
The aroma of a masculine cigar or someone's cigarette while enjoying their reading adventure.
The scent of elegant, fragrant perfume left on the pages by a proper lady.
To open a new book, prepare it for a long reading life, and enjoy the unique smell of the print.

  Yes, I did teach how to "smell" a book.


There is a magnificent book written by ancient authors. As I hold the book in my hands, I imagine the smell of aged writings being buried for hundreds of years in the earth for safe keeping.  The date of the page I am looking at was written in the year of about 82 B.C.  The book's title is the "Book of Mormon."  It was taken from its buried place and translated by a young, modern day Prophet, named Joseph Smith.

My heart bursts with thanksgiving for the opportunity I have to hold, read, and smell my magnificent, sacred book. My "Book of Mormon" brings me comfort -- I know it is the true word of God.



                                                                             I cherish my book!


My Dear Reader, please pick up your favorite book and smell it!


Until another post, be good to yourself and serve the Lord with gladness.

  
   





2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea. I'm glad your student remembered. I love a lot of old musty books that I cherish. HUgs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. They are such great food for thought and delight.

    ReplyDelete