Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Calling Joys of Summer

This post addresses the joys almost lost in time.

I have heard it adds a punch to life if we have a "bucket list" outlining the desires of our heart to be completed before death.  Perhaps it is a good idea, but why don't we gather past, notable experiences, not planned or organized, to savor and store in our own personal, amazing journal.  Please join me as we ponder together.


Here is a picture of my amazing journal.  

What does yours look like?

  • Summer With Dad

Dad became my baby sitter.  When it came time for lunch, he would fix the most scrumptious tuna fish sandwiches -- yummy good!  I remember he gave me a supreme choice by asking, "Which way do you want me to cut your sandwich; into a boat or an airplane?"  He cut the sandwich to fit my order. After lunch, we played a hot, card game of Fish.  Of course, I was not always the winner.  He joyfully laughed when he announced himself to be the winner. When I finished with the winning hand, he smiled and I gloated.


I loved my dad and cherish the personal memories I had with him.

The memory will be written in the journal.

What memory do you have of personal time with your parent?

  • Summer Wash

During the summer months, I enjoyed taking the freshly washed clothes to the backyard clothesline. After hanging each item with a wooden clothes pin, one would hope a soft, gentle breeze would come by and brush against each article of clothing to enhance the ventilation.  After the drying period, I would return to the
clotheslines to gather the dry clothes.  It's always amazing to me, that some time in the process of the drying, a distinct sweet, perfumed aroma would magically jump into the clothes. What a treat to snuggle in bed with fresh clean linen and enjoy the wonderful fragrance of outdoor dried laundry.

Is that all? Nope. If you really want to enhance the experience and give the drying clothes some class, scatter rose pedals beneath the clotheslines, then stand back and enjoy the magnificent sight.

Such a beautiful memory will find its way to the journal.

What memories do you have of "The Wash?"

  • Summer Stress

Yes, I did have a stressful summer.  Hoping to find relief, I took a survey asking others what they did to lessen the demon.  Joyce, a special friend, wrote back telling me the definition and humor of stress could be found in the word FINE.

F    Freaked out
I     Insecure
N   Neurotic
E   Emotionally distraught

A good, old fashioned, belly laugh did wonders. I thank her for such wisdom





To release stressing about stress, with laughter, will be sited in the journal.

When does laughing help you?

  • Summer Embarrassment



Oh, I wish it hadn't happened.

Before playing the electric piano at the Family Research Center, I felt an urgent need to fix the foot peddle.  I stood, leaned over as far as I could, lost balance . . . wham-mo down I went.  I felt pain in my knees as I landed on them, while my upper body slowly slid along the floor landing face down, butt up.  The butt up part faced a room full of gazing, shocked co-workers.  With deepest embarrassment, I wanted to dissolve into the floor. Luckily, I had chosen to wear pants rather than a skirt.  Horrors, if it had been a skirt! Five or six strong, able bodied, men jumped off their seats and rushed to my aid. Not often does a gal get such attention.

Feeling mortified, I scrambled to my feet with crooked eye glasses across my face and hair tasseled. I looked at the audience, who had concern written on their faces.  With a shaky voice I said, "Well, that was the morning's entertainment!"  I straighten my glasses, brushed back my hair, smiled, sat down at the key board and began playing the opening song.

Today the embarrassing situation seems quite humorous; like a tuxedo on a clown.
It gives me hope to know, we can be gracious in all uncomfortable situations of life.

I will write the experience in the journal.

Now it's your turn to remember your embarrassing experience.  Don't be shy -- your audience will love it. To have company in the embarrassment department is comforting. 

*****

Remember how important it is to call forth memories of joyful experiences and tenderly write about them; never to be forgotten in the passing of time.

Dear reader, in the next post I will write about "Hanging On."

Be good to yourself and serve gladly.
The Good Lord loves us 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post on your memories. I love it. It brings to mind my childhood joys. Lots of hugs and love, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your special gift of finding just the right words to discribe things. You truly have a special talent. .

    ReplyDelete